This is a place where I can cut and paste different links to paste into the show notes for our podcast to make that process faster. These are rough cut and paste from other show notes so Dan will cut and paste them and tweak them into whatever episode he is editing.
- Opening violin theme song ( Podcast Theme Song: Artist – Trampled By Turtles / Song: Wait So Long ) with our three sponsors Triple Crown Coffee, Purple Rain Adventure Skirts and Thru-R then our opening song always playing before the guest… it’s from Dispatch with their song “Only The Wild Ones“
- Magnet Northbound (AKA James) can be found on YouTube here. His videos are excellent with his visuals and storytelling. His Instagram account can be found here. His show notes for his episode are here: You can find his two episodes here. You can listen to his episode here for Part 1 and Part 2.
- Jen is @BeyondBilisters on Instagram. Her YouTube Channel is here to update family & friends. Her husband Vince also has a YouTube Channel so they both will be making videos.
- David & Marketa Daley along with Marketa’s sister Barbora and the father of Marketa and Barbora is “Jedda” who join us for episode 14. You can listen here. Marketa’s Instagram you can find here and it’s filled with incredible images and descriptions of the daily grind on trail. Check out our show notes for episode 14 with links and photos of this family of five on the PCT. Dan made a blog post about how many kids are on trail this year. We have links for Mandy who is on our podcast hiking with a 5 year old on the PCT
- Mandy from Purple Rain Adventure skirts was on our episode 10 talking about her family finally putting the business on autopilot and taking her family truck camping in Baja. You can listen to it here. She then came back on the show to talk about how her PCT hike was going with her partner and Son in episode 13. Dan made a blog post about how many kids are on trail this year. We have links for Mandy who is on our podcast hiking with a 5 year old on the PCT
- Chris’s segment starts and runs for 64 minutes to the 1 hour and 9min mark in episode 16. He owns Triple Crown Coffee.
- Alex Mantos came on for episode 17 and she talks about her 2021 hike. Alex can be found on Instagram here and her couple of videos along the PCT can be found here.
- Morgan from Blaze Physio was on our episode 18. Her show notes for her episode are here. Morgan’s website is Blaze Physio. Morgan’s IG handle is @blazephysio (weblink for her IG). She helped Yogi on her FB Group with an educational Zoom. Here is Morgan’s PDF from the Zoom. / You can listen to her episode here.
- She mentions Backcountry Foodie.
- OUR PODCAST | EPISODE 19 | DOUG “CAPTAIN” WALKER | CANADIAN 2022 NOBO PCT THRU-HIKER Here is Doug’s YouTube Channel which was just a splattering of videos. It’s a nice flowing episode where Doug got sick in the Sierras with Covid and ended up getting off trail and we talk about post trail depression. Listen to his episode here.
- Fellow Canadian, Megan Delaire from our Province came on our episode and her show notes are here. Megan started a podcast called “Catch Me Outside” and Megan can also be found on Instagram here. / You can listen to her episode here.
- The Ginger & the Joy with Wes & Marie is talked about. Show notes are here >> Episode 26: Date Published: Feb 1st, 2023 / Length: 3 hours 10 mins / Hosts: Dan Deveau with Guests Wesley & Marie Black You can find Wesley (Yeti Legs) and Marie (Basecamp) Black here on YouTube and here on Instagram. / Listen to their episode here.
- EPISODE 27 | FROM AT TO PCT TO PARENTHOOD | STARCRUNCH (PAM) + MOSS (DONOVAN) | 2022 NOBO PCT THRU-HIKE Length: 2 hours 11 minutes / Hosts: Dan Deveau with Pam & Donovan / Show notes / Listen here…
- EPISODE 28 | MALLORY (BAJA) & LUKE (BABE) | 2022 NOBO PCT THRU-HIKE / Show notes / Length: 2 hours + 23 minutes / Hosts: Dan Deveau with Mallory & Luke / Listen here.
- Christina and Andrew who did a podcast on trail called WTF (Walking Towards Fear) are talked about.
PCT Desert Section:
- Dan mentions a post about how to get to the Southern Terminus, Camp Lockett and Cleef as well as the shuttle bus. You can find that here.
PCT Sierra Section
- Yogi who runs Triple Crown Outfitters in Kennedy Meadows has a great link that helps you understand what is needed to get individual permits for the sections. You can find the info here. Yogi on her FB Group with educational Zooms and a great positive community.
- Reds Meadow Hot Spring is a place we would love to check out. Mallory & Luke from Ep 28 mentioned it.
- A little more about Mt. Whitney Dan & Chantal wants to attempt to summit this mountain. It’s a side trip on the PCT and Dan lists the different side trips they want to do on the PCT on their blog. (The Side Trips we plan to take )
- We talk about Lambo who slipped and fell in the Sierra.
- We talk about taking a “Zeek” off trail. Then a segway into us possibly planning a “Trailcation” of spending some off-trail time at Yosemite. Yosemite and Half Dome
- They bounce over to river crossings, which freaks out Dan. Dan will be updating this post about the Sierras and its passes and rivers.
PCT Nor Cal Section
- Timberline Lodge AYCE Buffett: TripAdvisor Link | Official Website
PCT Oregon Section
PCT Washington Section
Our Website Reference Points:
- Dan & Chantal’s gear list can be found here on Lighterpack.com which is a great website to track your hiking kit and helps you add up the weights.
- Our Patreon link can be found here. Our savings and projected spending are located on this page on our website. It’s in the spreadsheet and the Patreon info is down on the page spreadsheet at the bottom so use the sliders to scroll down.
- Episode 4 introduces Heidi and how she is coming out with us… you can find it here
- Our YouTube Video with planning out the first two months
- PCT Challenges
- Town Days On Trail
- YouTube Channels To Watch
- Silent Lake Provincial Park in Ontario is a place that has a 16km loop around the lake which is about 45 minutes from us so that is a great training ground.
- Dan created a private Group on FB for Canadians hiking the PCT. Join if you are from Canada.
- Trail Lingo: We have a webpage that lists all the lingo as a glossary. You can find it here.
- Dan talks about the “Trail Notes” section of the website for their personal notes.
- We made a post about navigation.
- Our PCT Playlist on Spotify
Our Personal Life Links
- In 2019 Dan, Chantal and Noah went on an 18-day trip to Europe hitting Prague, Waterpark in Germany, Lisbon, Zurich, Innsbruck, Vienna and back to Prague to come home. They vlogged it on YouTube. the blog posts for the trip on Dan’s personal blog are here. They made a personal vlog about his 2019 Trip with his two kids to Europe. Don’t laugh. Made with Dan’s phone as they travelled. It was a “Don’t Tell Mom” episode.
- After the PCT Adventure with Dan & his Son Noah is planning a 5-6 month road trip. (YouTube Teaser)
Our Podcast Reference Points:
- Dan & Chantal discuss our fears in the second half of episode 3 on the podcast.
- Dan and Chantal answer Sue’s Voice Mail messages she left for them. You can find the show notes for that episode here.
- Dan’s opening disclaimer that this is not a PCT episode. Skip it if you are just looking for PCT content. EP25/Title: “Don’t Listen – Non-PCT Episode!!! Just Personal Talk with Dan & Chantal Feeling Good”
Things To Do / Challenges:
- Dan and Chantal are going to do the Mcdonald’s Challenge.
- Cowboy Camping is something that Dan & Chantal wants to do a whack of time.
- Our Side Trips we plan to take. Mt. San Jacinto & Mt. Baden Powell
- The Wildfires impacting the PCT
- Fowler-O’Sullivan Foundation
- Dan asks them about how they will deal with the crazy heat of the desert section and the crazy heat wave last year for the classof2021. Dan talks about a podcast about hydration. It’s excellent and a great deeper dive.
- Dan talks about a podcast about hydration. It’s excellent and a great deeper dive.
- Corey slipped and fell in episode 73 and it’s covered in those three episodes. You can hit his PCT playlist and scroll down to these episodes to watch.
- Jon King AKA “SanJacJon” from his website SanJacJon.com covers Mt. San Jacinto which is a great resource for this area.
- Doug Laher was on our podcast in Episode 9 and you can find the trail notes here to listen, view photos and lots of links. Doug’s his first podcast and reads the article he wrote for the Trek on the Trek’s Backpacker Radio episode #73 which is very raw. You can find it here. In the second part of the episode, the show interviews someone from the Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit and that is also worthwhile to listen to. Doug was on Erin’s Hiking Thru podcast a month later. Feb of 2021 he was on Trail Tales podcast / in March of 2021 he was on “The By Land Podcast / then he was on Russ’s The Trail Creators Podcast and I really enjoyed that one since Russ was also hiking at the same time as Trevor and he talks about what that hike was like with Covid starting and the issues with hiking on the trail at that time. Russ remembers walking with Trevor during a 20 min stint and how they kept leap-frogging each other on trail as one would stop to get a drink or marvel at the surroundings. Russ also talks about them getting a hitch off trail where they would spend the night at a Market and camp outside. Russ had his microspikes and an ice axe but noticed many of the hikers did not have one yet. He breifly tried to show them how to use it for when they get theirs up ahead. As you will learn farther into the podcast that Trevor… he was to get his ice axe and microspikes 17 more miles up trail from where his accident was in town when he resupplied. There is a great article from Louise Farr from AltaOnline that talks about the accident and also invited Doug and Cameron on a Zoom call that is hosted on YouTube. Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit is the incredible volunteers that go out on every mission when people are hurt or missing in and around a large area that they cover.
- We talk about stranger danger and Dan brings up that bald creepy guy that was floating around in years past.
- YouTube Channels To Watch
- Laura aka We_Need_Wilderness who is a resident of San Diego and a PCT Section Hiker. Her Instagram is We_Need_Wilderness Check out her saved highlighted stories and you will see some National Park trips and hikes on the PCT.
- Elina AKA “TipTap” had a great YouTube Chapter Vlog/Short Film on her 2019 PCT hike.
- Dixie on YouTube is here.
- Renee & Tim who are huge on TikTok. Dan & Chantal will use it more when we get closer.
- The book and movie are called: Wild – From Lost To Found On The Pacific Crest Trail.
- The Whimsical Woman: Jennifer AKA Starburst / YouTube Vlogger that inspired Dan to do this trip with Chantal. Her Stay Dirty Video from the Whimiscal Woman is the video that Chantal could not watch.
- Mary Mansfield from the UK was watched with Dan and Heidi who will be coming with us for our first month on trail. Mary hiking the PCT. Episode 4 introduces Heidi and how she is coming out with us… you can find it here
- HRC on the PCT is a vlog that Heidi and Dan watched to learn about the trail. You can find them on YouTube here it was a great vlog and since they were teachers they wanted to “teach” on the trail.
- The Holeshoes 2015 PCT Hike on YouTube Dan feels is top notch and he asked the to push it all together and make it into a movie. Really excellent film.
- Traildork has a great PCT Vlog on Youtube and will reach out to him again and see if we can record a podcast segment with him.
- Dan and Mandy talk about “LittleFoot” from last year’s PCT Class. Which is wild. Littlefoot is shown below.
- Dan talks about a great PCT podcast called “The Attempt”
Films & Docs:
- Dan talks about a new film which is excellent and it’s called “The Art Of Walking“
PCT Cool Websites:
- Weather website for the AT and the PCT to check out. (ATWeather)
- Thru-R – The online community about new and alumni PCT hikers | Website
- Yogi who runs Triple Crown Outfitters in Kennedy Meadows has a great link that helps you understand what is needed to get individual permits for the sections. You can find the info here.
- distance and pace and zeros. He mentions the Postholer Planner Website that helps people calculate pace.
- Incredible book about journaling the PCT from Joshua.
- Dan talks about the Canadian website “The Last Hunt” where he has bought lots of gear and clothes for our PCT trip
- Our Tent: The Bear Hot Pocket
- Our Cooking System
Health & Nutrition:
- Chantal talks about a YouTuber she discovered that goes over training exercises and stretches and also about work you can do if you get injured. His channel is Chase Mountains.
- Dan’s Sexy Sounding YouTube Yoga Coach For The Big Screen TV
- Dan talks about a great podcast episode that covers in great detail hydration and moving more into the episode it has great information to find that balance of water intake.
- We use Anchor to record our podcast which Spotify owns. We use Audacity to edit it and when ready we just upload the audio file to Anchor where it gets distributed to 9 different podcast platforms pick it up like Spotify, Apple, Amazon Audible and Google.
Other Podcasts To Reference:
- Flossy on Trail Tales Embedded: https://open.spotify.com/episode/5fXWmn0tNUhdrs8fa73hl6?go=1&sp_cid=c7047344321902d6c3a8b8370e866073&utm_source=embed_player_p&utm_medium=desktop
- Virtual Challenges: Here is the website/app that Dan was talking about that you can virtually hike trails around the world if you need a challenge.