Listen on Anchor.fm: https://anchor.fm/hikethepct
Listen on Spotify: A Long Walk North
Listen on Apple Podcasts: A Long Walk North
Listen on YouTube: Podcast Playlist or Breaker Audio / Castbox / Overcast / Pocket Casts / or where you listen to your podcasts.Become a Patron!
A Long Walk North:
We wanted to launch a podcast of the planning we will do beforehand on different topics and hiking the PCT itself by recording audio using our phones from the trail. It will allow us to explain the journey in greater length/detail describing how we are feeling and giving you a better look into the section of the trail we are hiking.
- Trailer One: Does She Even Know? / Released: 26APR20 / Duration: 1:57 min / Listen
- Trailer Two: Does He Even Know? / Released: 02MAY20 / Duration: 1:58 min / Listen
- Episode 1 / “It’s Not Hard… You Just Talk” / Episode’s Show Notes / Released Jan 5, 2021 / Duration 20 minutes / Hosts: Dan + Chantal / Summary: Just a quick hello and a short introduction to us and who we are and why we have decided to attempt the biggest hike of our old + young lives.
- Episode 2 / “Oh Ya! Get Me The Spork” – The Planning / Episode’s Show Notes / Released Jan 26, 2021 / Duration 67 minutes / Hosts: Dan + Chantal / Summary: Episode 2 + 3 are huge and break down the trail to family and friends covering what makes up the trail, the effort to hike it, resupply with food, town days, money needed to hike it, fears + dangers.
- Episode 3 / “Daddy Likes To Talk” – The Planning Continues / Episode’s Show Notes / Released Feb 10, 2021 / Duration 63 minutes / Hosts: Dan + Chantal / Summary: We start to find our groove with making podcasts and I giggle at our banter. We continue where Episode 2 left off and cover the logistics with the trail and move into our fears and dangers on the trail.
- Episode 4 / “The Chaperone” / Episode’s Show Notes / Released Apr 28, 2021 / Duration 28 minutes / Hosts: Dan + Chantal w/ Guests: Heidi / Summary: We introduce Heidi, who will be joining us for the first month of our hike. She will start in Campo and her goal is get up to Big Bear. Short Episode.
- Episode 5 / “Trail Lingo” / Episode’s Show Notes / Released Sep 8th, 2021 / Duration 58 minutes / Hosts: Dan + Chantal w/ Guests: Heidi and her daughter Chloe / Summary: This is broken down into two segments and we cover words of the Thru-Hike Glossary and see if each other knows the words. First segment was recorded when summer was starting and the second half was recorded in the fall with Chantal starting school.
- Episode 6 / “Answering Questions” / Recording This Month
Season Two: Future Episodes & Guests:
We will be interviewing PCT Section Hiker Laura AKA @we_need_wilderness on IG and TikTok about the sections she has hiked and her passion for storytelling and helping hikers. Her IG stories pined on her account show her travels along the first part of the trail that every NOBO PCT hiker will battle through the heat and wind as they head North.
We will interview Dignity who goes by “Traildork” on Youtube and social media who hiked it in 2019. You should check out his vlogs on YouTube which are excellent. His photography of the trail is incredible. Watching his journey take a stumble in the Sierra Nevada and how he overcomes injury to try and finish his hike before his international visa expires is remarkable.
We will talk to Chris who hiked the AT, PCT and the CDT and talk to him about his love for travelling, jumping in his truck to explore and save up to hike these long thru-hikes and how he moved into the coffee business and how he is helping protect and maintain National Hiking Trails. I’m sure we will talk about leaving the United States at a young age to backpack Europe, throw axes and drink beer on the East Coast and West Coast of the States. The PCT blend of his coffee is the best with the hints of chocolate added into the mix.
If you listen to our podcast… you have heard her company when the violin plays in the intro. We will chat with Mandy who owns a small business based in Oregon that expresses her passion for the outdoors and hiking in the Pacific Northwest. What parent has free time? She finds the time to develop adventure skirts with her Purple Rain collection for anyone. She was at PCT Days this year and we are looking forward to finding out more about her and her business.
We will chat with a family who set off to hike NOBO on the PCT in 2020. Brittanie, Greg and Madison make up “No Place Like Camp” on YouTube. Maddie who learned about “Scrambler” who was 10 years old and hiked the PCT inspired the family to take on this challenge. We are excited to talk to them about hiking as a family with their daughter.
We will chat with Carol aka “Cheer” on trail as she completed the PCT in 2019 in a challenging snow year. After the trail, she missed the community so she created “thru-r” online where the hiking community can get together online, catch up on zoom and learn from each other and mentors who have hiked a long thru-hike. She is working on the CDT and has dreams of jumping across the United States to complete the Triple Crown with the AT. It will be interesting to tap inside her mind that never shuts off as she makes trail-inspired pottery and her goals to grow Thru-r.
We will introduce Kristen who resides in New Hampshire as she plans to tackle the PCT in 2022. We will stay hello to her before the new year, and in the new year we will catch up with her planning of this incredible long-distance thru-hike as she will then be weeks away from flying to the West Coast to start the Pacific Crest Trail.
We have hikers that we want to contact and ask them if they would like to join us online and talk about planning, hiking and attempting a long thru-hike. We also have to record them which we have been slow to do. We hope to get through some interviews this Fall / Winter and we will ask others to the “coming soon” list as we line them up to actually record soon. 🙂
<Click The Icon Above>
Leave us a Voice Mail for our podcast and give us feedback, suggestions, and ask us questions on anything.
Email us at email@example.com
How we are making our podcasts: Using the Anchor App we are finding it one of the best ways to start and share a podcast across all platforms like Apple, Spotify, and Google Podcasts. We will get a good quality mic like the Rode VideoMic for the trail to capture sound for our Vlog and podcasts. For editing and post-production, we are using Anchor + Audacity (which is a great free program)