California Section G (Sec G Dist-115mi) / Walker Pass (Onyx, Kernville) to Crabtree Meadows (Mt. Whitney) (767mi) / Leg 12 covers 50 miles from Walker Pass to Kennedy Meadows (The Gateway To The Sierra Mountains)
- Viewing: Walker Pass to Kennedy Meadows Leg 12-Sec G / is 50 miles
- Kennedy Meadows to Lone Pine Leg 13-Sec G / is 43 miles
- Lone Pine to Crabtree Meadows Leg 14-Sec G / is 22 miles
Back To Section: Table of Contents > Trail Notes Directory / California Section Posts /
Leaving Leg 12 to get us to Kennedy Meadows and finish the desert section. This leg is 50 miles and should 4 days to hike. We will be hiking in elevation with the range mostly between 6,000 to 7,000ft. In KM, we might take multiple zero’s as we try and hook up with a ‘Tramly’ who will venture together for safety into the Sierra Mountains as we pass this beautiful but dangerous section of the PCT. We will add more gear for the Mountains and possibly ship some desert gear home.
Mileage Markers / Elevation:
Day 1 = 13 miles hiked / careful at camp with bears active in the area.
Day 2 = 11 miles hiked
Day 3 = 18 miles hiked
Day 4 = 8 miles hiked
Kennedy Meadows Services:
- Stay/Eat/Outfitter – Grumpy Bear’s Retreat 700.4mi / Restaurant with beer, wine, food and pizza. Amazing breakfasts. Also, live entertainment and party place. Rides can be arranged from the general store in Kennedy Meadows. Free camping. Laundry also. Wifi $10 / Accepts packages without a fee. Triple Crown Outfitter next door to Grumpy Bear.
- Triple Crown Outfitters: 8am – 10pm / www.triplecrownoutfitters.com / 559-302-9943 / They sell all the gear and also food to resupply. Yogi and Jackie are awesome to deal with. / TCO home phone number if stuck after hours 559-850-4453
- Kennedy Meadows General Store: Usually open 9-5pm. They also carry some gear. 559-850-5647 / email@example.com / www.kennedymeadowsgeneralstore.com / Holds packages for $6 fee. Super low key and chill. Free camping. Laundry and showers. Has a nice deck to relax. Quieter than staying at Grumpy Bears. Play movies on Saturday nights. Must try the Farmer’s Burger.
Gear Swap: The Sierra Mountains Are Next
Our spikes will be mailed ahead to her after our Mt. Baden-Powell summit. We will also pick up a Bear Can and pick up our Ice Axe. We will also have to have warmer clothes. Long food carries are head in this section. Finding water is not an issue.
Vlogs covering section:
- Add any vlogs on YouTube that cover this section